GeePower® Lithium-ion Battery Knowledge Column
The lithium battery protection board consists of protective IC, MOSFET, transistors, resistors & capacitors, PCB and some heat sink devices. Its role is to keep the battery running normally, like preventing battery failure caused by overcharging, overdischarging, short circuit, which will result in battery smoking & burning, even an explosion.
What are the functions of the lithium battery protection board?
- Overcharge protection. Different systems of batteries vary in their overcharge protection voltage. In general, the overcharge protection voltage of lithium iron phosphate battery is 3.65V~3.85V, and 4.2V~4.35V for lithium cobalt oxide battery, lithium manganese oxide battery, and ternary polymer lithium battery.
- Overdischarge protection. Overdischarge protection voltage of lithium iron phosphate is 2-2.5V, and 2.3V-2.9V for lithium cobalt oxide battery, lithium manganese oxide battery, and ternary lithium polymer battery.
- Short circuit protection. It is determined by the parameters of the IC and MOSFET.
- Overcharge recovery voltage. IC has this function, and generally recovery voltage is 0.1~0.2V lower than the protection voltage.
- Overdischarge recovery voltage. Some ICs do not have this function. When overdischarge occurs, it needs to recharging.
- Short circuit protection delay is generally only a few ten milliseconds.
- Equalization function. The purpose of equalizing is to ensure that each battery can be fully charged, in order to extend the service life, and maximize the role of the battery. At present, equalizing charging is very common.
What GeePower® has considered when designing a lithium battery protection board?
- Guarantee reliability and work stability. The overcurrent parameter retains at least a 30% technical margin
- Designed products to be easy to test。
- The design should be easy to produce and debug, the process should be simplified, and the product should be easy to install with proper size.
- Design to facilitate the purchase of devices.
- The design should consider the heat dissipation and placement of the heat sink devices.
- The designed product should be Eco-friendly.